Friday, February 24, 2012

Diligent Lines



Been having a little trouble with Flickr, so I haven't uploaded in a while, but I'll just embed these later.

I have been talking with Drane recently about process(although we talk about that all the time) and everyone has a different one. I also believe it's important to try new methods, but probably most people balance that experimentation with habits that work. I certainly do. Habits become natural, and in my experience, that leads to relaxed, confident work. We form habits through consistency and familiarity, and the process maybe ought to have a balance of experiment and precedent, the work itself should show diligence more than consistency.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely still life, sir. Show's a remarkable sensitivity. And the sketchbook copies, lovely also...I can see you groping your way to our own style, amalgamating Kirby n' Romita into your own "thing"....not the worst influences to have, ehy?!?!?!And I mean "groping" in the most complimentary way possible...I'm a serial groper!

    All the best!

    Ant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I meant to say--your LINE is the best thing about ALL THOSE DRAWINGS...decisive--slightly ragged--sensuous....in fact reminds me tremendously of the Master Paul Pope...BUT IT'S ALL YOURS, DUDE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serial groper, very nice. Indeed, you are right, I love warming up by copying the masters of dynamic action and economical line-work. I think my line aesthetic is more fully realized because of Pope's, but I'm still developing the drawings that compose the "skeletons" of my images. On the other hand, your "skeleton" work is very tight. Also, I've been meaning to ask, do you use nibs, mostly?

    ReplyDelete